Safety is a very hot topic in the Agile space right now. During our conversation about safety, Olaf shared one of the most powerful things I have heard during an interview this year:
“When you talk to people about trust, it rises. When you talk to people about safety, they get scared.”
Every conversation I have with Olaf leaves me more aware and (I hope) a bit smarter than I was when it began. I hope you will get as much value from listening to this as I did from recording the conversation.
And you can find links to Olaf’s upcoming classes and events, as well as his contact info, below the show notes.
- 00:07 Podcast Intro
- 01:27 Begins
- 01:57 An overview of Agile Leadership Training
- 04:48 A skeptical response to the idea of Agile Leadership Training and Olaf’s response
- 07:16 Developing a thinking model to understand what we need and how that drives our actions
- 09:11 The power of metaphor in leadership and Dave’s aversion to boats
- 11:03 Giving people tools to grow their awareness of how they show up
- 11:34 These classes cover advanced leadership topics - not the basics
- 12:16 “If you trust in yourself… you will still get beaten by people”
- 13:05 Skepticism is an important part of any class and any transition
- 13:32 It’s about being intentional and aware
- 15:23 There is a specific type of learning that involves being uncomfortable because what you believe is challenged
- 15:57 Extending the question of leadership beyond work and helping them understand more about their awareness and intention
- 17:00 Olaf shares a story about his first experience working as a boss
- 21:29 The advice Olaf about give his 29 year-old self about being a boss for the firs time
- 22:23 It’s okay to ask for help
- 24:05 A question about safety and what it means to create a safe space
- 25:42 When you talk to people about trust, it rises, when you talk to people about safety, they get scared
- 27:22 What is Certified Agile Leadership Training? What level of knowledge experience do you need to attend?
- 28:08 What will CAL training do for a leader/manager in an Agile organization?
- 29:28 Where to learn more about Olaf’s upcoming classes, where you can see him speak and how to get in touch with him if you have questions.
Links from the Podcast
- Showing Up - the book written by Olaf and Christine https://leanpub.com/showingup
- TrustTemenos Leadership Academy: https://trusttemenos.de
- Upcoming CAL Trainings - https://trusttemenos.de/certified-agile-leadership-cal1/
- Olaf’s session at the 2017 Scrum Gathering San Diego is called: Product Owner: Mapping Dramas and Dreams and it will be held in the Harbor Island 1 room on Monday, April 10 from 1 PM until 2:15 PM For more info on the Scrum Gathering: https://www.scrumalliance.org/sgcal
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olaflewitz/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/OlafLewitz
- Website: http://trustartist.com
Post a Comment